Okay, technically my throat. Still. Never play with hot oil, kiddies.
This evening Junkii & I were trying our hand at Indian cuisine, and got distracted long enough that the few tablespoons of oil heating in the pot started to smoke. I overreacted and quickly pulled the pot off the element.
Too quickly, it turns out. The oil splashed out of the pot and onto my throat.
Yeouch! I let out a scream and headed straight to the shower to immerse my new burns in cold water. 20 minutes later, I called the provincial health line and was advised to go to the emergency room. We got lucky and landed in an ER with no wait time – a rare treat for sure. Still, that was about it for good news. Okay, maybe that's an overreaction.
The doctor said:
- I have 2nd degree burns, but no 3rd degree burns.
- Scarring should be minimal, but there will be discoloration of the area for 6 months or so.
- It will be painful – quite painful – for a week or more.
- I won't be able to shave the area under my chin for a while and will likely wind up with unsightly neck hair. Ew.
I will likely get to miss a few days of work. The doc said I will be in too much discomfort to go to an office job. Seriously. I'm not looking forward to this pain he keeps referring to. But at least he gave me a fistful of percocet to keep me out of it for a few days.
Next step is to go back to the ER on Monday morning and have them debride the area (remove the dead skin and clean it to prevent infection and promote healing). Until then, I'm saddled with this gauze scarf and glove.
Dammit! Tomorrow I was supposed to go go-karting for my friend's birthday. Guess that ain't gonna happen. Sorry Steve.