Okay, here are the recipes you asked for from our cooking weekend.
Peach and Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta
1 red pepper
2 peaches, diced
1 cup (250 mL) diced, seeded tomatoes (roma or grape)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 baguette, sliced on the diagonal
1. Preheat grill to medium-high or broiler. Roast red pepper, turning often, until well blackened. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave to cool.
2. Remove skin, stem and seeds from pepper. Finely chop the pepper and place in a medium bowl. Stir in peaches, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Marinate for 30 minutes before serving or cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
3. Before serving, bring peach mixture to room temperature. Lightly toast baguette slices on both sides. Spoon peach mixture on top of toasts.
The salad is tomato, Bocconcini cheese,fresh basil, and Kalamata Olives. You can figure out how to put it together from the photos. What you need is the Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 clove crushed garlic
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 pinch salt
ground black pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, garlic, and mustard powder. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir in minced fresh herbs if desired.
And for dessert… Shoofly Pie
1-1/4 cups (300 mL) whole wheat flour
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of salt, allspice and ginger
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cloves
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
3/4 cup (175 mL) fancy molasses
1/2 cup (125 mL) boiling water
9-inch (23-cm) unbaked pie crust, homemade or purchased deep-dish
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
2. Stir flours with sugar, baking soda and spices until well mixed. Cut in butter until well-combined and mixture appears crumbly. Stir molasses with water.
3. Sprinkle about one third of the flour mixture into the bottom of the pie shell. Drizzle with half of the molasses mixture. Then evenly sprinkle in another third of the crumbs and drizzle with remaining molasses mixture. Finally top with remaining crumbs; mixture will be heaped.
4. Place pie in centre of oven. Immediately reduce heat to 350ºF (180ºC).
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned and edges of filling are showing cracks. Cool on a rack. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or simply with a dusting of icing sugar overtop. Pie keeps well, loosely covered at room temperature, for a day or 2.